Information for Trucker in North Carolina

Temporary Permits

Temporary Trip Permit

If not proportionally registered a trip permit must be obtained before entering any other International Registration Plan member jurisdiction and carried in the cab of the vehicle for which issued or the vehicle may be subject to full registration in that jurisdiction.

With the trip permit, and provided proper operating authority is held in the member jurisdiction, the vehicle is entitled to be operated intrastate as well as interstate during the period allowed under the permit. Exception: Trip permit operation is limited to interstate movement in Arizona, Iowa, Nebraska and North Dakota.

Fees and duration of temporary trip permits are dependent upon the registration laws of the particular jurisdiction. Trip permits are intended to be used only occasionally or for emergency need and shall not be used to evade proportional registration.

Trip permits are available from the following Transmitter Services, who charge a service fee. The fee for a North Carolina Temporary Trip Permit is $15 for 10 days.

Refer to the IRP manual for more details.


Temporary Fuel Permits

North Carolina Highway Fuel Use temporary trip permits are issued by permitting services or weigh stations operated by the North Carolina State Highway Patrol Motor Carrier Enforcement Administration. Prior arrangements must be made with the first available weigh station before entering North Carolina; otherwise, the carrier may be penalized $100.00 for not having a valid decal or trip permit. Temporary trip permits will not be issued from the Excise Tax Division. If electronic transmission is desired, contact one of the permitting services.

North Carolina Highway Fuel Use temporary trip permits are issued to carriers who do not have proper credentials to travel in North Carolina. North Carolina IFTA carriers who need permits after Excise Tax Division office hours must purchase a North Carolina Highway Fuel Use temporary trip permit. North Carolina Highway Fuel Use temporary trip permits allow carriers to travel in North Carolina only. Carriers must contact other jurisdictions if authorization is needed to operate in those jurisdictions. The cost for temporary fuel permits is $50.00 each and they are valid for 3 days.

If individual jurisdiction temporary trip permits are needed, contact each jurisdiction directly.

Refer to the IFTA manual for more details.


For vehicles that are not registered under IRP or IFTA, additional permits may be necessary before entering another jurisdiction. Vehicles exceeding limitations on the size and weight are required to obtain a permit.



Oversize / Overweight Permits

If a vehicle is overdimensional (oversize) or overweight,s they must obtain a permit authorizing movement according to vehicle size and weight.


Latest News


IFTA Reporting Online