Oversize/Overweight PermitsThe NCDOT ARPS Internet Permit Application System provides an easy way to apply for Single Trip Permits valid for one trip over a ten-day period to move vehicles (including load) that exceed maximum legal size or weight over state highways. Generally a permit is required if:
- Total width is over 8'6",
- Overall height is greater than 13'6",
- A single vehicle is over 40' or vehicle combination is over 60' in length, or
- Exception: truck tractor/48-foot semi-trailer combination with no overall length limitation is allowed on all roads and truck tractor/53-foot semi-trailer combination, with no overall length limitation is allowed on all North Carolina primary (NC,US,Interstate) routes unless restricted.
- Weight exceeds legal weight by NC law. Gross weight is determined by the extreme axle measurement (federal bridge law):
- Single axle – 20,000 pounds
- Tandem axle – 38,000 pounds
- Rear overhang in excess of 4 feet is required to display a 18-inch-square red flag for daytime travel and clearance lights during nighttime travel. Loads shall not extend more than 14 feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of the vehicle. Maximum overhang is limited to 14 feet
A total of four permit requests may be accepted during one telephone request. Multiple permits for one multi-sectional mobile home is considered one permit request.
- Toll Free Calls
- 1-888-574-6683 (single trip permit)
- 1-888-221-8166 (administrative personnel/ annual permit/superload permit)
- Local Calls
- (919) 733-7154 (single trip permit)
- (919) 733-4740 (administrative personnel/annual permit/superload permit)
- Toll Free Fax: 1-888-222-8347
- Single Trip: (919) 733-7828; (919) 733-7921
- Annual: (919) 715-5616
Oversize/Overweight Permit Unit
1425 Rock Quarry Road, Suite 109
Raleigh, NC 27610
Directions: I-40, Exit 300
See Oversize/Overweight Handbook for complete details and fees.