Information for Trucker in North Carolina

Intrastate Authority

A person/carrier operating as for-hire (providing services for compensation) is required to purchase for-hire license plates and may be subject to regulation by the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles, N.C. Utilities Commission or the Federal Highway Administration. Operations subject to regulation by any of these agencies cannot obtain for-hire or permanent for-hire license plates until they meet the requirements of the regulating agency.

Some for-hire motor carriers transporting passengers or household goods within North Carolina are under jurisdiction of the N.C. Utilities Commission and must have NCUC intrastate operating authority. To determine whether a motor carrier’s operation requires intrastate operating authority from the NCUC, for-hire carriers transporting passengers or household goods must contact the NCUC during regular business hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday (except on official holidays).

Household Goods Carriers

Household Goods Carriers must complete and submit an APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF EXEMPTION TO TRANSPORT HOUSEHOLD GOODS (NCUC Form CE-1). Other supporting documentation include, but are not limited to:

  • Articles of Incorporation or Organization
  • Background Check
  • Form E & Form H submitted by insurance company
  • Tariff must be on file
Applications and supporting documents can be submitted in person or by mail to:
      Office of the Chief Clerk
      North Carolina Utilities Commission
      4325 Mail Service Center,
      Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4325.
Processing of applications takes 1 month, assuming all completed information is accurate.

For details see:


Interested in obtaining your own operating authority? Interstate commerce is trade, traffic, or transportation involving either the vehicle, its passengers, or cargo crossing a state boundary. Intrastate commerce is trade, traffic, or transportation within a single state.



Interstate Authority

Also referred to as an "MC","FF" or "MX" number, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Generally, 'for-hire' carriers engaging in interstate commerce are required to have Interstate Authority Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).


Latest News


IFTA Reporting Online